Tuesday, May 12, 2009

BC, Babes, Beautiful



I love this country. More so, I love this province of British Columbia. Although I came here as a child once, those memories from the early 70’s only come through the family photo albums I would look at through the years. It wasn’t until I graduated from high school that I came out here on my own to check it out. Hanging out in Kitsilano with my uncle that summer I knew it was the place to live one day. When we finally did drive across the country nine years ago I was speechless as we drove through the mountains and I knew I had arrived in my new home.

British Columbia is all over my mind this morning. The skies are uncertain today still deciding if they want to shower us with sunshine or rain. After breakfast we cut our train yard building short, as it was time to head to the polling station. It is the BC Election today where the Liberal party is in power. Although I didn’t vote for them I can’t see them being replaced yet. I think in tough times people don’t change because they fear that change, instead of embracing it. We would have to have a prime minister sinister like the former bushman before people would unite for change. In the end I don’t think it’s the peoples fault. Society has made a good busy life for everyone to try to keep up with, most have little time, or understanding to put much effort into what government does, but we should. Some of us do all we can, despite them. Great movements of change will happen outside the confines of government walls.



This past weekend was Mother’s Day and we took ‘mom’ to Van Dusen Gardens on a gorgeous sunny day. We had a great picnic outside the maze and we walked for hours through all the flourishing gardens. It was a real special mothers day too as she was also voted the Greenest Mom in BC!! Can you believe that? There was an online contest with Chum FM and she wrote in and won it all! She deserves it. Ever since we sold our car and started walking and biking everywhere, it has been a steady climb up the shades of green in our house, all spearheaded by the Green mom. From unplugging appliances, using less electricity, using reusable hemp diapers, drying the clothes outside in the summer, planting our vegetables to getting a worm compost (these worms are incredible) she has been constant and diligent in her research for our collective health. It never stops really and we can all find ways to do things differently and I think it is imperative that we do. We are super proud. Congratulations!

No comments: